Thursday, September 10, 2009

Pre-Trip Preparations- August 1-4, 2009

Finally got the go ahead from Bill & Steve that they were comfortable that the boat would due well on our upcoming trip to Baltimore, MD. Went down to their marina on Saturday to pick up the boat, after getting help from our friend Bev in dropping my truck off at our marine and then her giving me a ride to where the boat was. I brought down the new galley countertop, sink and faucet and I was planning on doing this work after I brought boat back to her slip.

She ran fine from Waretown over to Barnegat, a short 5 mile run down the bay. Backed her into her slip, and got to work on the galley top. I spent allot of time getting the template/pattern just right, as the angles were all skew and nothing approaching parrallel or right angles. I was doing an overlay, so the existing countertop, less sink and overhang, would serve as the support for the new top. Had to open up the area for the sink and faucet, as I was changing it around a little.

Fortunately for me, my slip-neighbor, Capt. Steve, was down on his boat. He gave me a hand unloading the top from the truck, and bringing it aboard the boat. Once I made the preliminary modifications, he helped lift it up for the first dry fit. A few more slight modifications, a little silicone caulk adhesive, and 1-2-3 the granite is on. Boy, what a perfect fit!! No gaps anywhere. Steve hooked up the water lines while I finished off the seal between sink and under-counter. We both stood back and admired a job well done! Boy, is Alice gonna love this. While I did bring the other top and sink for the head vanity, I didn't have the faucet yet, plus it was running late. I decided to save this for another day. I had to head home because Alice works tomorrow and Jesse was going to a school dinner function. Once I dropped him off at the banquet hall, Alice & I would take a quick run back down to the boat to bring the new leather sofa. We had to dodge the growing storm clouds so that the sofa didn't get wet on the back of the truck. Good thing for me I didn't marry a 'delicate flower': she helped me unload the sofa from the truck onto the boat, then we took a few moments to take in all the new changes on board, before we headed home to pick up Jesse from his dinner.

Only two more days and I was getting antsy. Everything was coming together. Let's just pray for good weather. Nothing ruins a vacation on the water like rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment