Wednesday, September 9, 2009

July 4th 2009

We all went down to the marina to spend the Fourth holiday weekend on the boat. Jesse & I went down real early on Friday so that we could play a round of golf at a nearby small public golf course, Ocean Acres. We left just ahead of all the traffic, because as we got to our exit the traffic started backing up. It was promising to be a hot day so I guess some people were trying to get an early start. Plus since the 4th was actually a Saturday, many businesses chose Friday the 3rd to close in recognition of the holiday. I chose to shutter my business Friday as well as Monday the 6th.

Jesse had been playing golf nearly every day since school let out at the private golf course next to our home, West Nine. As I had repeatedly told him, golf is a game of consistency; the more you play the better you get. These words were going to bite me in the a#$! We arrived at the course just as they were opening for the day, and lucky me, I got stuck paying for both of us! Real surprise there.

As we teed off for the first time, I could see the improvement in his game. He is becoming a little more relaxed in his swing. As the day progressed this became very obvious, but so did his frustration with 'bad' shots. If he can learn to focus and control his game and be realistic with his expectations, he will develop nicely.

Later that day we went back to the marina, and cooled off in the pool. A little dinner at the local eatery, Jenny's. Then back to the boat for an early evening spin out on the bay. We took her out to Double Creek Channel and around Sedge Island, then to Oyster Creek Channel and back home. I gave Jesse a turn at the helm and he did very well, except for the constant desire for 'more speed'. I wanted him to get the feel for the mass of the boat and how she responded to the wheel and trim before I gave him more throttle. We were still watching RPM's as her breakin period was still too soon.

Jesse, manning the wheel while I manned the throttles, began returning to Barnegat Town pier and eventually our marina. Once we got near the entrance I took over and brought her into her slip. He was feeling very proud of himself, and well he should have.

Next day we spent at the marina; Jesse relaxing at the pool and me puttering aboard with my list of 'little' things. Mom was working today an would travel down after work with Finny. There is a fireworks display at dusk right off our marina, so sitting on our boat gave us a perfect vantage point. However, it is apparently the 'local' thing for people to congregate at our marina to watch the display, plus with the town pier and the bay swim beach in the vicinity, the access road gets very congested, to the point where local police close it down. Alice had to prove to the police that we have a slip at the marina for her to get through, and she was able to arrive just at the crescendo launching of the final fireworks.

Next day, Sunday, Alice and Jesse wanted to go to Long Beach Island and do some shop-hopping. Jesse like the Ron Jon Surf Shop and Alice likes the numerous gift shops. I stayed back at the marina, and took Viking out onto the bay to watch the Speed Garvey races being held right off our marina's gas dock. Perfect way to spend the holiday; watching a bunch of speed-freaks nearly kill one another on a short oval course set up in the bay. Allot of noise, plenty of excitement and since I was new to the sport very difficult to follow who was winning. But it didn't matter since I was content just anchored out on the bay enjoying the day.

Next day Jesse had plans back home so he and Alice wanted to go home while I again stayed aboard. That list of mine keeps growing, and I would rather deal with boat-issues than deal with work issues anyway. But while I was eating breakfast and Jesse was getting ready to leave my phone kept ringing with work-related calls anyway. It was well after lunch before it stopped ringing and they left for home. We had lunch together before they hit the road and I hit the bilges for some real relaxing work.

No comments:

Post a Comment